Friday, August 19, 2011

I Mean It

I'm going to talk about something that might sound pretty controversial, but perhaps shouldn't be.

It's about race. And about how we make a big deal of it. You know what I'm talking about. I'm making a big deal of it right now. That's pretty lame of me.

I was planning to make some big old post with huge, sweeping explanations and critiques of this broad issue. I changed my mind. Instead, I want to make a series of simple, common sense-based statements:


1. We humans are inherently equal as a species but vastly different as individuals.

2. As a species, we often have a problem reconciling and respecting the equality manifest in our differences.

3. As a result, we often try far too hard to safeguard these differences.

4. This leads to jealousy, contempt, and hatred.

5. A vicious cycle is born.


Join me as I try to cut out the nonsense and be a rational yet loving dude. I think that this involves us not allowing ourselves to be content with our past (and often petty) attempts at glossing over these issues. I think we should all take ourselves (and our races, cultures, and backgrounds) less seriously and focus on loving more fully. Here are a few things I want to keep in mind as I embark:


1. It's wrong for us to draw attention to another's race at their expense.

2. It's wrong for us to impractically and unfairly fight to preserve racial differences in the hope that this preservation will lead to an increased appreciation of those differences. It won't.

3. Let's just be who we are, love each other for it, and get on with living.


See you on the other side.

(Oh, and if you have a problem with any of this, please read it over again and be sure you understand what I'm saying. Then let's have a discussion.)

Love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment